Monday, March 8

A Tale of Two Dresses

Once upon a time, I met a really cute guy and we really hit it off. No, I mean really. On our first date, we got so into talking that we walked around the same block 3 times, forgetting to cross the street. But it was the second date that clinched it.
He took me to the ARC in Colorado Springs. He helped me pick out dresses, then sat in an old office chair and waited while I tried on about 30 of them. He gave helpful comments on the ones I showed him. And then he bought me the two I wanted. How much more perfect could a man be?



This is one of the two dresses. It's a vintage blue-flowered polyester shirtdress. I love the colors. I love how comfy it is. I love how any Sunday morning, I can just grab it and throw it on and look fantastic.

And even now, nine years after I got it, and umpteen years after it was first sold, it still gets compliments. I wore it to church yesterday, and one dear lady told me how well I was doing the new trend of flower prints! So here's to style that never goes out of fashion.

In case you're wondering, the other dress he bought me that day was also a 70's dress. It's a filmy white cotton peasant dress, knee-length with puffy sleeves. There's no picture of it here because, frankly, it's seen better plays. Seriously, I wore it for two summers as the shift layer of my ren-fest costume, and it most recently served as a 1910 blouse in a High school production of "Charley's Aunt". I think it still has purple lace at the collar and cuffs. I sure got his money's worth out of that one, and it's still in my costume closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment